In the nonprofit world, many employees wear several different hats for their organization. Additionally, people often choose to go into nonprofits for more than just the money. They want fulfillment out of the work that they do. This means that those who manage them may have to take a different approach than managers in the corporate world. Check out the following tips for staff management at a nonprofit.
- Let Staff Make Some Decisions
- Part of what brought your staff to work at a nonprofit is the motivation to make a difference. By allowing employees to work through some tough decisions on their own, with just a little guidance from management, you will be helping to empower them, creating a sense of confidence that will bring future success for your organization.
- Ensure that the voices of staff members are heard. Allow them to pitch ideas and listen to problems that they may have.
- Establish Clear Roles
- As stated, sometimes nonprofit workers end up doing a lot of work that is outside of their job descriptions. Be sure to make the roles and responsibilities of each employee clear to avoid confusion and increase confidence.
- Show Appreciation
- Workers who feel appreciated will always try harder for their organization. Be sure to show your staff that you appreciate all they do.
- Hold Regular Reviews
- It is important that staff and management are all on the same page. By conducting regular reviews, management can acknowledge successes and clarify expectations so everyone has an understanding of what is to be done.
- Provide Opportunities for Growth and Advancement
- When staff can develop their skills and work a little bit outside their comfort zones, they become better workers. Also, workers who feel as though they have something to strive for, and not like they are stuck, will likely stay with the organization longer and work harder.
- Encourage Collaboration
- By giving your staff opportunities to work with each other on various projects, you are helping to foster a more positive working environment. Employees are more likely to develop a sense of camaraderie and enjoy their work more.
The Society of Innovators of Northwest Indiana works with several nonprofit organizations across the region. For more information, you can utilize for your nonprofit, visit www.NWISOI.org.